Publications List by Author
This is a list of publications from the Epidemiology Program. Publications are listed by author chronologically within each topic. View these citations listed by title.
There is a link to the abstract for a publication when available.
Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom Veterans
Dougherty DD, Lee S, Fonseca VP, Wolters CL, Schneiderman AI, Peterson MR, Ishii EK. Health care use among Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans with infectious diseases. Fed Pract 2015; 32: 36-41.
Kang HK, Bullman TA, Smolenski DJ, Skopp NA, Gahm GA, Reger MA. Suicide risk among 1.3 million veterans who were on active duty during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Ann Epidemiol 2015; 25: 96-100.
- Reinhard MJ, Nassif TH, Bloeser, K, Dursa EK, Barth SK, Benetato B, Schneiderman A. CAM utilization among OEF/OIF Veterans: Findings from the National Health Study for a New Generation of US Veterans. Med Care 2014; 52 (suppl 5): 45-49.
- Dursa EK, Reinhard MJ, Barth SK, Schneiderman AI. Prevalence of a Positive Screen for PTSD Among OEF/OIF and OEF/OIF-Era Veterans in a Large Population-Based Cohort. J Trauma Stress 2014; 27: 542-549.
- Katon J, Cypel Y, Raza M, Zephyrin L, Reiber G, Yano EM, Barth S, Schneiderman A. Self-reported infertility among male and female veterans serving during Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2014; 23:175-183.
- Barth SK, Dursa EK, Peterson MR, Schneiderman A. Prevalence of Respiratory Diseases Among Veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom: Results From the National Health Study for a New Generation of U.S. Veterans. Mil Med 2014; 179: 241-245.
- Yoon, FB, Jang D, Sukasih A, Kress AM, Barth SK, Mahan CM, Coughlin SS, Dursa EK, Schneiderman AI. 2013. Adjustments for misclassification of deployment status in a population based health study of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom Veterans. In JSM Proceedings, Mental Health Statistics Section. Alexandria, VA: American Statistical Association. 1996-2008.
- Eber S, Barth S, Kang H, Mahan C, Dursa E, Schneiderman A. The national health study for a new generation of United States veterans: methods for a large-scale study on the health of recent veterans. Mil Med 2013; 178: 966-969.
- Rosen RC, Marx BP, Maserejian NN, Holowka DW, Gates MA, Sleeper LA, Vasterling JJ, Kang HK, Keane TM. Project VALOR: design and methods of a longitudinal registry of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in combat-exposed Veterans in the Afghanistan and Iraqi military theaters of operations. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 2012; 21:5-16.
- Coughlin S, Aliaga P, Barth S, Eber S, Maillard J, Mahan C, Kang H, Schneiderman A, DeBakey S, Vanderwolf P, Williams M. The effectiveness of a monetary incentive on response rates in a survey of recent U.S. veterans. Survey Practice 2011.
- Kang HK, Bullman TA. Risk of Suicide Among U.S. veterans After Returning From the Iraq or Afghanistan War Zones. JAMA 2008; 300: 652-653.
- Schneiderman AI, Braver ER, Kang HK. Understanding sequelae of injury mechanisms and mild traumatic brain injury incurred during the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan: persistent post-concussive symptoms and posttraumatic stress disorder. Am J Epidemiol 2008;167:1446-1452.
- Kang HK, Hyams KC. Mental health care needs among recent war veterans. N Engl J Med 2005;352:1289.
Gulf War Veterans
- Coughlin SS, McNeil RB, Provenzale DT, Dursa EK, Thomas CM. Method issues in epidemiological studies of medically unexplained symptom-based conditions in Veterans. J Mil Veterans Health 2013; 21: 4-10.
- Kang HK, Mahan CM, Li B, Eisen SA, Engel CC. Longitudinal health study of US 1991 Gulf War veterans: changes in health status at 10-year follow-up [Reply to letter of Delcher C, Wang Y]. Am J Epidemiol 2012; 175: 473-474.
- Li B, Mahan CM, Kang HK, Eisen SA, Engel CC. Longitudinal health study of US 1991 Gulf War veterans: changes in health status at 10-year follow-up. Am J Epidemiol 2011; 174:761-768.
- Coughlin SS, Kang HK, Mahan CM. Alcohol use and selected health conditions of 1991 Gulf War veterans: survey results, 2003-2005. Prev Chronic Dis 2011;8(3).
- Coughlin SS, Kang HK, Mahan CM. Selected health conditions among overweight, obese, and non-obese veterans of the 1991 Gulf War: Results from a survey conducted in 2003-2005. The Open Epidemiology Journal 2011; 4:133-139.
- Young HA, Maillard JD, Levine PH, Simmens SJ, Mahan CM, Kang HK. Investigating the risk of cancer in 1990-1991 U.S. Gulf War veterans with the use of state cancer registry data. Ann Epidemiol 2010; 20:265-272.
- Barth SK, Kang HK, Bullman TA, Wallin MT. Neurological mortality among U.S. veterans of the Persian Gulf War: 13-year follow-up. Am J Ind Med 2009;52:663-670.
- Wallin MT, Wilken J, Alfaro MH, Rogers C, Mahan CM, Chapman JC, Fratto T, Sullivan C, Kang HK, Kane R. Neuropsychologic assessment of a population-based sample of Gulf War veterans. Cog Behav Neurol 2009;22:155-166.
- Kang HK, Li B, Mahan CM, Eisen SA, Engel CC. Health of U.S. veterans of 1991 Gulf War: A follow-up survey in 10 years. J Occup Environ Med 2009;51:401-410.
- Toomey R, Kang HK, Karlinsky J, Baker D, Vasterling J, Alpern R, Reda D, Henderson W, Murphy F, Eisen S. Mental health of U.S. Gulf War veterans 10 years after the war. British J Psychiatry 2007;190:385-393.
- Levine PH, Richardson PK, Zolfaghari L, Cleary SD, Geist CE, Potolicchio S, Young HA, Simmens S, Schessel D, Williams K, Mahan CM, Kang HK. A study of Gulf War veterans with a possible deployment-related syndrome. Arch Environ Occup Health 2006;61:271-278.
- Gray GC, Kang HK. Healthcare utilization and mortality among veterans of the Gulf War. Phil Trans R Soc B 2006;361:553-569.
- Eisen SA, Karlinsky J, Jackson LW, Blanchard M, Kang HK, Murphy FM, Alpern R, et al. Spouses of Persian Gulf War I veterans: medical evaluation of a U.S. cohort. Mil Med 2006;171(7):613-618.
- Gackstetter GD, Hooper TI, DeBakey SF, Johnson A, Nagaraj BE, Heller JM, Kang HK. Fatal motor vehicle crashes among veterans of the 1991 Gulf War and exposure to munitions demolitions at Khamisiyah: a nested case control study. Am J Ind Med 2006;49:261-270.
- Hooper TI, DeBakey SF, Bellis KS, Kang HK, Cowan DN, Lincoln AE, Gackstetter GD. Understanding the effect of deployment on the risk of fatal motor vehicle crashes: a nested case-control study of fatalities in Gulf War era veterans, 1991-1995. Accid Anal Prev 2006;38:518-525.
- Lincoln AE, Helmer DA, Schneiderman AI, Li M, Copeland HL, Prisco MK, Wallin MT, Kang HK, Natelson BH. The War-Related Illness and Injury Study Centers: A resource for deployment-related health concerns. Mil Med 2006;171:577-585.
- Lincoln AE, Hooper TI, Kang HK, DeBakey, SF, Cowan DN, Gackstetter GD. Motor vehicle fatalities among Gulf War era veterans: characteristics, mechanisms and circumstances. Traffic Inj Prev 2006;7:31-37.
- Blanchard MS, Eisen SA, Alpern R, Karlinsky J, Toomey R, Reda DJ, Murphy FM, Jackson LW, Kang HK. Chronic multisymptom illness complex in Gulf War I veterans 10 years later. Am J Epidemiol 2006;163:66-75.
- Miller R, Costigan DJ, Young HA, Kang HK, et al. Patterns of health care seeking of Gulf War registry members prior to deployment. Mil Med 2006;171:370-375.
- Bullman TA, Mahan CM, Kang HK, Page WF. Mortality in U.S. Army Gulf War veterans exposed to 1991 Khamisiyah Chemical Munitions Destruction. Am J Public Health 2005;95:1382-1388.
- Eisen SA, Kang HK, Murphy FM, et al. Gulf War veterans’ health: medical evaluation of a U.S. cohort. Ann Intern Med 2005;142:881-890.
- Hooper TI, DeBakey SF, Lincoln AE, Kang HK, Cowan DN, Gackstetter GD. Leveraging existing databases to study vehicle crashes in combat occupational cohort: epidemiologic methods. Am J Ind Med 2005;48:118-127.
- Kang HK, Dalager NA, Mahan CM, Ishii E. The role of sexual assault on the risk of PTSD among Gulf War veterans. Ann Epidemiol 2005;15:191-195.
- Levine PH, Young HA, Simmens SJ, Rentz D, Kofie VE, Mahan CM, Kang HK. Is testicular cancer related to Gulf War Deployment? Evidence from a pilot population-based study of Gulf War era veterans and cancer registries. Mil Med 2005;170:149-153.
- Mahan CM, Page WF, Bullman TA, Kang HK. Health effects in Army Gulf War veterans possibly exposed to chemical munitions destruction at Khamisiyah, Iraq: Part I. Morbidity associated with potential exposure. Mil Med 2005;170:935-944.
- Page WF, Mahan CM, Kang HK, Bullman TA. Health effects in Army Gulf War veterans possibly exposed to chemical munitions destruction at Khamisiyah, Iraq: Part II. Morbidity associated with notification of potential exposure. Mil Med 2005;170:945-951.
- Davis LE, Eisen SA, Murphy FM, Alpern R, Parks BJ, Kang HK, et al. Clinical and laboratory assessment of distal peripheral nerves in Gulf War veterans and spouses. Neurology 2004;63:1070-1077.
- Gray GC, Gackstetter GD, Kang HK, Graham JT, Scott KC. After more than 10 years of Gulf War veteran medical evaluations, what have we learned? Am J Prev Med 2004;26:443-452.
- Karlinsky JB, Blanchard M, Alpern R, Eisen SA, Kang HK, Murphy FM, Reda D. Late prevalence of respiratory symptoms and pulmonary function abnormalities in Gulf War I veterans. Arch Intern Med 2004;164:2488–2491.
- Mahan CM, Kang HK, Dalager NA, Heller JM. Anthrax vaccination and self-reported symptoms, functional status, and medical conditions in the National Health Survey of Gulf War Era Veterans and Their Families. Ann Epidemiol 2004;14:81–88.
- Schneiderman AI, Lincoln AE, Curbow BA, Kang HK. Variations in health communication needs among combat veterans. Am J Public Health 2004;94:2074-2076.
- Smith TC, Jimenez DL, Smith B, Gray GC, Hooper TI, Gackstetter GD, Heller JM, et al. The postwar hospitalization experience of Gulf War veterans participating in U.S. health registries. J Occup Environ Med 2004;46:386–397.
- Hallman WK, Kipen HM, Diefenbach M, Boyd K, Kang H, Leventhal H, Wartenberg D. Sypmtom patterns among Gulf War registry veterans. Am J Public Health 2003;93:624–630.
- Kang HK, Natelson BH, Mahan CM, Lee KY, Murphy FM. Post-traumatic stress disorder and chronic fatigue syndrome-like illness among Gulf War veterans: A population based survey of 30,000 veterans. Am J Epidemiol 2003;157:141–148.
- Young HA, Simmens SJ, Kang HK, Mahan CM, Levine PH. Factor analysis of fatiguing syndrome in Gulf War era veterans: implications for etiology and pathogenesis. J Occup Environ Med 2003;45:1268–1273.
- DeBakey S, Paxton M, Weaver R, Lange J, Cowan D, Kang H, et al. Risk of motor vehicle fatality associated with prior morbidity among Gulf War era veterans. Ann Epidemiol 2002;12: 509.
- Gackstetter GD, DeBakey S, Cowan D, et al. Fatal motor vehicle crashes among veterans of the Gulf War era: A nested case-control study. Ann Epidemiol 2002;12:509–510.
- Kang HK, Bullman TA, Macfarlane GJ, Gray GC. Mortality among U.S. and U.K. veterans of the Persian Gulf War: A review. Occup Environ Med 2002;59:794–799.
- Kang HK, Mahan CM, Lee KY, Murphy FM, Simmens SJ, Young HA, Levine PH. Evidence for a deployment related Gulf War syndrome by factor analysis. Arch Environ Health 2002;57:61-68.
- Kang HK, Bullman TA. Mortality among U.S. veterans of the Gulf War: 7-year follow-up. Am J Epidemiol 2001;154:399–405.
- Kang HK, Magee C, Mahan C, Lee K, Murphy F, Jackson L, et al. Pregnancy outcomes among U.S. Gulf War veterans: A population-based survey of 30,000 veterans. Ann Epidemiol 2001;11:504–511.
- Kang HK, Mahan CM, Lee KY, Magee CA, Murphy FM. Illnesses among U.S. veterans of Gulf War: A population-based survey of 30,000 veterans. J Occup Environ Med 2000;42:491–501.
- Gray GC, Hawksworth AW, Smith TC, Kang HK, Knoke JD, Gackstetter GD. Gulf War Veterans’ Health Registries. Who is most likely to seek evaluation? Am J Epidemiol 1998;148:343–349.
- Kipen HM, Hallman W, Kang HK, Fiedler N, Natelson BH. Prevalence of chronic fatigue and chemical sensitivities in Gulf registry veterans. Arch Environ Health 1999;54:313–318.
- Murphy FM, Kang HK, Dalager NA, Lee KY, Allen RE, Mathers SH, et al. The health status of Gulf War veterans: lessons learned from the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Registry. Mil Med 1999;164:327–331.
- Kang HK, Bullman TA. Counterpoint: Negligible "healthy-warrior effect" on Gulf War veterans' mortality. Am J Epidemiol 1998;148:324–325.
- Gray GC, Coate BD, Anderson CM, Kang HK, et al. The postwar hospitalization experience of U.S. veterans of the Persian Gulf War. N Engl J Med 1996;335:1505–1513.
- Kang HK, Bullman TA. Mortality among U.S. veterans of the Persian Gulf War. N Engl J Med 1996;335:1498–1504.
- Blanck RR, Hiatt J, Hyams KC, Kang HK, et al. Unexplained illnesses among Desert Storm veterans: A search for causes, treatment, and cooperation. Arch Intern Med 1995;155:262–268.
- Cypel Y, Kang H. Mortality patterns of Army Chemical Corps veterans who were occupationally exposed to herbicides in Vietnam. Ann Epidemiol 2010;20:339-346.
- Kang HK, Dalager NA, Needham LL, Patterson DG, Lees PSJ, Yates K, Matanoski GM. Health status of Army Chemical Corps Vietnam veterans who sprayed defoliant in Vietnam. Am J Ind Med 2006;49:875-884.
- Kang HK, Dalager NA, Needham LL, et al. U.S. Army Chemical Corps Vietnam veterans health study: preliminary results. Chemosphere 2001;43:943–949.
- Dalager ND, Kang HK. Mortality among Army Chemical Corps Vietnam veterans. Am J Ind Med 1997;31:719–726.
- Mahan CM, Bullman TA, Kang HK, Selvin S. A case-control study of lung cancer among Vietnam veterans. J Occup Environ Med 1997;39:740-747.
- Watanabe KK, Kang HK. Mortality patterns among Vietnam veterans: 24-year retrospective analysis. J Occup Environ Med 1996;38:272–278.
- Dalager NA, Kang HK, Burt VL, Weatherbee L. Hodgkin's disease and Vietnam service. Ann Epidemiol 1995;5:400–406.
- Watanabe KK, Kang HK. Military service in Vietnam and the risk of death from trauma and selected cancers. Ann Epidemiol 1995;5:407–412.
- Bullman TA, Watanabe KK, Kang HK. Risk of testicular cancer associated with surrogate measures of Agent Orange exposure among Vietnam veterans on the Agent Orange Registry. Ann Epidemiol 1994;4:11–16.
- Kang HK. Dioxin, health effects, handbook of hazardous materials. Academic Press, 1993.
- Dalager NA, Kang HK, Burt VL, Weatherbee L. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma among Vietnam veterans. J Occup Med 1991;33:774–779.
- Kang HK, Watanabe KK, Breen J, et al. Dioxins and dibenzofurans in adipose tissue of U.S. Vietnam veterans and controls. Am J Public Health 1991;81:344–349.
- Watanabe KK, Kang HK, Thomas TL. Mortality among Vietnam veterans: With methodological considerations. J Occup Med 1991;33:780–785.
- Bullman TA, Kang HK, Watanabe KK. Proportionate mortality among U.S. Army Vietnam veterans who served in Military Region I. Am J Epidemiol 1990;132:670–674.
- Thomas TL, Kang HK. Mortality and morbidity among Army Chemical Corps Vietnam veterans: a preliminary report. Am J Ind Med 1990;18:665–673.
- Breslin P, Kang HK, Lee Y, Burt V, Shepard BM. Proportionate mortality study of U.S. Army and U.S. Marine Corps veterans of the Vietnam War. J Occup Med 1988;30:412–419.
- Shepard BM, Kang HK, Enzinger FM, Hobson LB. The risk of soft tissue sarcoma in veterans of the Vietnam conflict. In AL Young & GM Reggiani (Eds.), Agent Orange and its associated dioxin: Assessment of a controversy. Elsevier Science Publications, 1988.
- Kang HK, Enzinger F, Breslin P, Feil M, Lee Y, Shepard B. Soft tissue sarcoma and military service in Vietnam: A case-control study. J Natl Cancer Inst 1987;79:693–699.
- Kang HK, Breslin PP. Effects of the military draft on mortality. N Engl J Med 1986;315: 454.
- Kang HK, Weatherbee L, Breslin PP, Lee Y, Shepard BM. Soft tissue sarcomas and military service in Vietnam: A case comparison group analysis of hospital patients. J Occup Med 1986;28: 1215–1218.
- Young AL, Kang HK, Shepard BM. Rationale and description of the federally sponsored epidemiological research in the United States on the phenoxy herbicides. In G. Choudhary, L.H. Keith & C. Rappe (Eds.), Chlorinated dioxins and dibenzofurans in the total environment II. Boston, Mass.: Butterworth Publishers, 1985:155-166.
- Kang HK, Shepard BM, Young AL. Health effects of Agent Orange exposure. In Occupational Medicine Current Concepts 7, No. 3. New York State Department of Health,1984.
- Young AL, Kang HK, Shepard AL. Chlorinated dioxins as herbicide contaminants. Environmental Science and Technology 1983;17:530A–540A.
Women Vietnam Veterans
- Kimerling R, Serpi T, Weathers F, Kilbourne AM, Kang H, Collins JF, Cypel Y, Frayne SM, Furey J, Huang GD, Reinhard MJ, Spiro A, Magruder K. Diagnostic accuracy of the Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI 3.0) PTSD module among female Vietnam-era veterans. J Trauma Stress 2014; 27:160–167.
- Kang HK, Cypel Y, Kilbourne AM, Magruder KM, Serpi T, Collins JF, Frayne SM, Furey J, Huang GD, Kimerling R, Reinhard MJ, Schumacher K, Spiro A 3rd. HealthViEWS: Mortality Study of Female US Vietnam Era Veterans, 1965-2010. Am J Epidemiol 2014; 179:721–730.
- Cypel Y, Kang H. Mortality patterns among women Vietnam-era veterans: Results of a retrospective cohort study. Ann Epidemiol 2008;18:244–252.
- Kang HK, Mahan CM, Lee KY, Magee CA, Mather SH, Matanoski G. Pregnancy outcomes among U.S. women Vietnam veterans. Am J Ind Med 2000;38:447–454.
- Kang HK, Mahan CM, Lee KY, Magee CA, Selvin S. Prevalence of gynecologic cancers among female Vietnam veterans. J Occup Environ Med 2000;42:1121–1127.
- Dalager NA, Kang HK, Thomas TL. Cancer mortality patterns among women who served in the military: the Vietnam experience. J Occup Med 1995;37:298–305.
- Thomas TL, Kang HK, Dalager NA. Mortality among women Vietnam veterans, 1973–1987. Am J Epi 1991;134:973–980.
Psychological outcomes among Vietnam Veterans
- Bullman TA, Kang HK. Posttraumatic stress disorder and the risk of traumatic death among Vietnam veterans. In C. Fullerton & R. Ursano (Eds.), Posttraumatic stress disorder, acute and long-term responses to trauma and disaster. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Press 1997.
- Bullman TA, Kang HK. The risk of suicide among wounded Vietnam veterans. Am J Public Health 1996;86:662–667.
- Bullman TA, Kang HK. A study of suicide among Vietnam veterans. Federal Practitioner 1995;12:9–13.
- Bullman TA, Kang HK. Posttraumatic stress disorder and the risk of traumatic deaths among Vietnam veterans. J Nerv Ment Dis 1994;182:604–610.
- Bullman TA, Kang HK, Thomas TL. Posttraumatic stress disorder among Vietnam veterans on the Agent Orange Registry: A case-control analysis. Ann Epidemiol 1991;1: 505–512.
- Farberow NL, Kang HK, Bullman TA. Combat experience and post service psychosocial status as predictor of suicide in Vietnam veterans. J Nerv Ment Dis 1990;178:32–37.
Mustard gas exposure
Methodology, summary, or other
- Kang HK, Bullman TA. Department of Veterans Affairs response to risk of suicide for veterans. In J. Amara & A.M. Hendricks (Eds.), Military Health Care From pre-deployment to post-separation. New York, N.Y.: Routledge, 2013.
- Coughlin SS, editor. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Chronic Health Conditions. Washington, D.C.: American Public Health Association, 2012.
- Coughlin SS. Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and Cardiovascular Disease. Open Cardiovasc Med J 2011;5:164-170.
- Kang HK, Bullman TA. Mortality follow-up of veterans who particpated in military chemical and biological warfare agent testing between 1962 and 1972. J Toxicol Environ Health A 2009;72:1550-1552.
- Kang HK, Bullman TA. Is there an epidemic of suicides among current and former U.S. military personnel? Ann Epidemiol 2009;19:757-760.
- Street AE, Stafford J, Mahan CM, Hendricks A. Sexual harassment and assault experienced by reservists during military service: prevalence and health correlates. Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development. 2008;45:409-420.
- Liu X, Engel Jr CC, Kang HK, Armstrong DW. Veterans and functional status transitions in older Americans. Mil Med 2006;171:942-949.
- Kang HK, Bullman TA, Taylor JW. Risk of selected cardiovascular diseases and posttraumatic stress disorder among former World War II Prisoners of War. Ann Epidemiol 2006;16:381-386.
- Page WF, Mahan CM, Kang HK. Vital status ascertainment through the files of the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Social Security Administration. Ann Epidemiol 1996;6:102–109.
- Bullman TA, Kang HK. The effects of mustard gas, ionizing radiation, herbicides, trauma, and oil smoke on U.S. military personnel: the results of veterans studies. Annu Rev Public Health 1994;15:69–90.
- Kang HK. Resources for epidemiologic research in Vietnam era veteran populations within the Department of Veterans Affairs. In Epidemiology in military and veteran populations Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press, 1991:97-103.
- Kang HK, Thomas TL. National sources of vital status information: Extent of coverage and possible selectivity in reporting [Letter to the editor]. Am J Epidemiol 1990;132:1196–1197.