Goals for 2013-14 VA Influenza Vaccination Program
Each year, the Infection: Don't Pass It On Team coordinates the development of the goals for the upcoming flu vaccination season. This year's goals are:
- Within each VA health care facility, gradually increase the seasonal influenza vaccination rate of health care personnel to meet the 2020 Healthy People goal of 90%. Note: Facilities will need to look at their vaccination rates for the previous year and set a goal to increase which will meet the Joint Commission standard – generally by 5% each year until 90% is attained by 2020.
- Promote seasonal influenza vaccination to all Veteran patients. Note: This is based on the Federal recommendation of universal influenza vaccination of all people age 6 months and older.
- Reduce disparity of influenza vaccination rates by increasing the rate of vaccine among within female patients and those patients under age 50.
- Promote consistent and proper documentation and tracking for all influenza vaccinations.
- Promote non-vaccine methods of preventing infection, particularly hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
- Encourage the entire VA health care community to promote and support influenza vaccination.