Evidence-based tobacco use treatments
Evidence-Based Tobacco Use Treatments: A Resource for VHA Psychology Trainees (2.35 MB, PDF) is a two part presentation developed by members of the Veterans Health Administration Technical Advisory Group for use in trainings with psychology and mental health professional trainees and staff on evidence-based smoking cessation treatment.
The first part reviews guidance from the 2010 update of the U.S. Public Health Service Clinical Practice Guideline. The second part reviews smoking as a health disparity among mental health and addictive disorders populations and the evidence-base for smoking cessation treatment in these populations.
Feel free to use this presentation in your own work and trainings. Please give credit to the Veterans Health Administration Tobacco & Health Technical Advisory Group and Rx for Change for permission for the use of their slides.
The following are a few of the many websites that provide information and material on smoking and tobacco cessation. In several cases, there are materials that you can download, print, and copy to use for your Great American Smokeout Day and other smoking cessation activities.
- Great American Smokeout: All About the Great American Smokeout
- Department of Health and Human Services: Healthy Lifestyle: Smoking and Tobacco
- Office of the Surgeon General: Surgeon General's Reports on Smoking and Tobacco Use
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- National Institutes of Health
- Smoking and Cancer, National Cancer Institute
- NIH State-of-the-Science Statement on Tobacco Use: Prevention, Cessation, and Control, June 12-14, 2006
- Smokeless Tobacco and Cancer
- Tobacco Use- Risk Factor Monitoring and Methods
- Prevention and Cessation of Cigarette Smoking
- Tobacco Use Supplement, Current Population Survey
- Research Report Series, Tobacco Addiction, National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- American Cancer Society: Complete Guide to Quitting
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.