VHA’s Workplace Violence Prevention Program (WVPP)
The WVPP develops and implements policy for workplace violence prevention in healthcare. Find out more about VHA's workplace violence prevention in healthcare facilities.
In order to promote a culture of safety, VHA has adopted a simultaneous, four-pronged approach. The process of workplace violence prevention is summarized in the figure below.
Employee Education and Training: Prevention and Management of Disruptive Behavior (PMDB)
PMDB Program objectives Include:
- To ensure that that the PMDB employee training program reflects the best and most up-to-date practices in the field and addresses the risks to VHA employees working in the constantly evolving setting for healthcare delivery.
- To enhance the PMDB training methodology, including the use of Web-based learning to standardize the employees' knowledge base, and ensure that all VHA staff have needed information.
Event Reporting and Data Management: Disruptive Behavior Reporting System (DBRS)
- VHA has developed and installed in every facility, a secure, web-based DBRS that allows all employees to have a voice regarding any concerns they may have about safety.
- The DBRS provides information back to employees that their reports have been received and that action is being taken to address their concerns.
Individualized Assessment and Management Plan
- VHA emphasizes the ethical use of evidence-based, data-driven threat assessment and management practices.
- In accordance with current community best practice standards, VHA has implemented multi-and interdisciplinary teams in every facility to make individual assessments and develop customized safety plans.
Safety Plan Communication
- VHA has developed and implemented an electronic alert and notification system to communicate safety plan information at the initial moments of a patient encounter.
- In so doing, VHA’s program model communicates directly with employees, thus completing the interactive and ongoing process of promoting workplace safety.
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.