Superstorm Sandy, Hurricane Katrina, and earthquakes in Northridge, San Francisco Bay, and San Fernando—hundreds of thousands of Veterans had their medical care disrupted when these disasters closed six VA hospitals
The Veterans Emergency Management Evaluation Center (VEMEC) creates science-based tools to help minimize disruptions to care and keep VA open and functioning during such events. Through research, training, and consulting, VEMEC applies its scientific and clinical expertise to today’s most urgent emergency management issues.
Based at the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, VEMEC collaborates with local, national, and global partners to serve as a vital resource within and outside VA. Through its work, VEMEC helps support the Veterans Health Administration as a national leader in emergency management.
From concept to practice, VEMEC is devoted to identifying best practices and advancing the field of public health preparedness and response through its key projects for our Nation’s Veterans and their communities.
Since its inception in 2011, Aram Dobalian, Ph.D., J.D. has served as the Director of VEMEC.
Past and present VEMEC partners and collaborators
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Office of Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response
- US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- US Interagency Council on Homelessness
- California State University, Fullerton
- California State University, Long Beach
- Drew University
- Georgetown University
- Texas A&M University
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of Southern California
- University of Washington
- National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)
- National Healthcare Coalition Resource Center (NHCRC)
- RAND Corporation
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Emergency Management Community Collaborative (EM4CC)
Dept. of Veterans Affairs
16111 Plummer Street (152)
North Hills, CA 91343
Emails sent to this address are not secure. Please do not include personal data. To send a secure email, use VA's Ask a Question - IRIS (a secure website contracted to VA).