Goals for 2017-2018 VA Influenza Vaccination Program
The foundation of an effective influenza vaccination campaign is rooted in goals. Each year in conjunction with your VA health care facility leadership, flu teams should develop goals as a foundation for planning, executing, and evaluating vaccination efforts. Sample goals are listed below. Each facility should consider goals as a foundation of measureable elements that reflect the nature, extent, and cultural specificity of your target populations.
- Increase the seasonal influenza vaccination rate of health care personnel to meet the 2020 Healthy People goal of 90%. Note: Beginning fiscal year 2013, VA health care facilities were expected to align their influenza vaccination for health care personnel with this goal. Facilities will need to look at their vaccination rates for the previous year and set a goal to increase which will meet the Joint Commission standard View 2020 Healthy People objectives.
- Promote seasonal influenza vaccination to all Veteran patients. Note: This is based on the CDC recommendation of universal influenza vaccination of all people age 6 months and older.
- Reduce disparity of influenza vaccination rates by increasing the rate of vaccine among female patients and those patients under age 50.
- Promote consistent and proper documentation and tracking for all influenza vaccinations.
- Promote non-vaccine methods of preventing influenza, particularly hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
- Encourage the entire VA health care community to promote and support influenza vaccination.