Veterans who worked with machinery on a regular basis during military service may been exposed to:
- Hand-arm vibration from using power hand tools
- Whole-body vibration from operating heavy equipment such as trucks, helicopters, and ships
Health problems associated with vibration exposure
Vibration can affect the body in various ways:
- Continuous exposure may cause serious damage to the body.
- Regular exposure to hand-arm vibration may cause Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome. Symptoms include tingling, numbness, and pain in the fingers and hands.
- Regular exposure to whole body vibration may cause low back pain.
Learn more about vibration exposure and its health effects from the Naval Safety Center.
If you are concerned about health problems associated with vibration exposure during your military service, talk to your health care provider or contact your local VA Environmental Health Coordinator to help you get more information from a health care provider.
Compensation benefits for health problems
Veterans may file a claim for disability compensation for health problems they believe are related to vibration exposure during military service. VA decides these claims on a case-by-case basis. File a claim online.
Learn more about VA benefits.