Within the Veterans Health Administration of the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Office of Patient Care Services brings a public health approach to protecting the health of Veterans and staff.For us, public health is the science and practice of promoting health and preventing disease among Veteran and VA staff populations. In this context, health can be affected by natural or human-made environments, present and past occupations, place in society, gender, and other social or individual characteristics.
This is reflected in four pillars that uphold our ideals, initiatives, services, and programs:
- Surveillance and epidemiology
- Underserved populations
- Disease prevention, risk reduction, and health promotion
- Public health policy and guidance
Read biographies of Public Health senior officials.
Here are the services and centers within Patient Care Services that cover a range of programs to protect and promote the health of Veterans and staff:
- Post-Deployment Health Services assesses the impact of environmental agents exposures, conducts environmental epidemiology studies, reviews the effects of radiation and physical exposures, and oversees the War Related Illness and Injury Study Center.
- Population Health Services aggregates information on health care delivery, access, utilization, outcomes, and Veteran survey data to design interventions and strategies to improve Veterans’ health.
- Occupational Health Services addresses employee matters through the infrastructure of employee occupational health, workers' compensation, and health promotion. Occupational Health manages health care hazards such as violence prevention, safe patient handling and mobility, and sharps exposures. This group includes the national Center for Occupational Health and Infection Control (COHIC).
- The Veterans Emergency Management Evaluation Center (VEMEC) identifies best practices to mitigate, prepare for and respond to national emergencies and natural disasters.
Public Health At-A-Glance
Highlights Report (3.72 MB, PDF)
The Highlights Report provides a summary of Public Health’s recent accomplishments and initiatives that underscore our dedication to the health and well-being of Veterans and VA staff.
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.