VA Health Care Utilization by Recent Veterans
VA presents a report four times a year containing data on Veterans who have used VA health care and who served in Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), or Operation New Dawn (OND).
The latest report (260 KB, PDF) contains data from October 1, 2001 to June 30, 2015.
- Approximately 62 percent (1,218,857) of all separated OEF/OIF/OND Veterans have used VA health care since October 1, 2001.
- Between July 1, 2014 and June 30, 2015, a total of 738,212 of these Veterans accessed VA health care.
- The frequency and percent of the three most common diagnoses were: musculoskeletal ailments (759,850 or 62.3 percent); symptoms, signs, and ill-defined conditions (conditions that do not have an immediately obvious cause or isolated laboratory test abnormalities) (715,263 or 58.7 percent); and mental disorders (708,062 or 58.1 percent). A Veteran can have more than one diagnosis.
About the report
The VA health care utilization report is created by comparing a Department of Defense roster of returning Veterans to VA’s electronic inpatient and outpatient health records.
The data used in the report provide valuable information about Veterans who have accessed VA health care. The report does not represent all recent Veterans who have become eligible for VA health care, who have ever served in OEF, OIF, or OND, or who are currently serving in these conflicts.
Carefully designed epidemiology studies are required to answer specific questions about the health of all Veterans who served in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- 2nd Quarter FY 2015 (181 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2015 (202 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2014 (541 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2014 (220 KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2014 (227 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2014 (229 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2013 (540 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2013 (540 KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2013 (541 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2013 (543 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2012 (428 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2012 (448 KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2012 (419 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2012 (407 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2011 (193 KB, PDF)
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.