VA Health Care Utilization by Recent Veterans
VA presents a report four times a year containing data on Veterans who have used VA health care and who served in Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), or Operation New Dawn (OND).
The latest report (202 KB, PDF) contains data from October 1, 2001 to December 31, 2014.
- Approximately 61 percent (1,158,359) of all separated OEF/OIF/OND Veterans have used VA health care since October 1, 2001.
- Between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014, a total of 701,886 of these Veterans accessed VA health care.
- The frequency and percent of the three most common diagnoses were: musculoskeletal ailments (711,817 or 61.5 percent); symptoms, signs, and ill-defined conditions (conditions that do not have an immediately obvious cause or isolated laboratory test abnormalities) (665,903 or 57.5 percent); and mental disorders (662,722 or 57.2 percent). A Veteran can have more than one diagnosis.
About the report
The VA health care utilization report is created by comparing a Department of Defense roster of returning Veterans to VA’s electronic inpatient and outpatient health records.
The data used in the report provide valuable information about Veterans who have accessed VA health care. The report does not represent all recent Veterans who have become eligible for VA health care, who have ever served in OEF, OIF, or OND, or who are currently serving in these conflicts.
Carefully designed epidemiology studies are required to answer specific questions about the health of all Veterans who served in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- 4th Quarter FY 2014 (541 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2014 (193KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2014 (195 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2014 (229 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2013 (543 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2013 (540 KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2013 (541 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2013 (543 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2012 (427 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2012 (448 KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2012 (412 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2012 (407 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2011 (130 KB, PDF)
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.