VA Facility Use by Recent Veterans with PTSD
VA presents a report four times a year on the number of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), and Operation New Dawn (OND) Veterans who were diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and who used medical care at various VA facilities.
Read the latest report (250 KB, PDF) for data from October 1, 2001 to December 31, 2014. During this time, 391,759 OEF/OIF/OND Veterans were seen for potential PTSD at VA facilities following their return from these overseas deployments.
About the report
The report shows the number of Veterans with potential PTSD by:
- VA Medical Center (VAMC)
- Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) (clusters of VAMCs within a region)
- Vet Center
The report lists the number of inpatients (patients who are hospitalized overnight or longer), outpatients (patients who receive care without staying overnight), and total patients, including Veterans whose primary reason for their medical visit was PTSD and Veterans who sought medical care for any reason.
Data for the report came from:
- The Department of Defense, Defense Manpower Data Center’s personnel roster of active duty, Reserve, or National Guard troops who participated in OEF/OIF/OND, separated from active duty, and became eligible for VA benefits
- VA’s inpatient and outpatient electronic patient records
- VA Readjustment Counseling Service’s Vet Center users records
The report only describes Veterans who have used VA health care; therefore, these Veterans may be different from Veterans who have not used VA health care. Carefully designed epidemiology studies are required to answer specific questions about the health of all Veterans who served in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- 4th Quarter FY 2014 (380 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2014 (242 KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2014 (259 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2014 (315 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2013 (344 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2013 (345 KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2013 (620 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2013 (624 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2012 (899 KB, PDF)
- 3rd Quarter FY 2012 (491 KB, PDF)
- 2nd Quarter FY 2012 (429 KB, PDF)
- 1st Quarter FY 2012 (503 KB, PDF)
- 4th Quarter FY 2011 (886 KB, PDF)
Download free viewer and reader software to view PDF, video and other file formats.