Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Public Health

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

How VA Confirms Radiation Exposure during Service

Veterans' military records contain records of radiation exposure or accounts describing duty-related exposure.

Veterans and their survivors do not need to contact the Department of Defense (DoD) to confirm radiation exposure activity before applying for VA compensation benefits. VA will request this information from DoD when a Veteran or a Veteran's survivor applies for disability compensation or survivors' benefits for health problems associated with the exposure.

VA confirms exposure

VA asks DoD’s Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) to confirm Atomic Veterans participation in U.S. atmospheric nuclear tests from 1945 to 1962, and the occupation forces of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan, through a program called the Nuclear Test Personnel Review. VA also asks DTRA to provide the actual or estimated radiation dose received by a Veteran when necessary.

VA uses the DTRA report on LORAN radiation exposures (1.9 MB, PDF) to confirm the radiation dose assessment for Veterans who worked at LORAN (Long Range Navigation) stations.

For Veterans exposed to radiation at Fukushima, the DoD's Operation Tomodachi Registry provides individual dose information.

For help:

VA does not need to confirm your exposure to ionizing radiation during military service before we determine if you are eligible for an Ionizing Radiation Registry health exam. Contact your local VA Environmental Health Coordinator to ask about getting an exam.

Environmental health coordinators directory


Health Care


TDD (Hearing Impaired)