Infectious Diseases of Southwest Asia VHI
Clinicians can learn about the health effects of infectious diseases of Southwest Asia from the Veterans Health Initiative (VHI) study guide.
Endemic Infectious Diseases
of Southwest Asia (1.83 MB, PDF).
The study guide provides an overview of the specific health conditions experienced by Veterans who served in Southwest Asia, particularly during military conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. The focus is on diseases not typically seen in North America.
- History of infectious disease in Afghanistan and Iraq
- Endemic infectious diseases in Southwest Asia
- Infectious diseases of military importance
- Norovirus infection in Afghanistan
- Diagnosis of infectious disease in Southwest Asia
- Prevention and treatment
The guide is useful for VA and non-VA health care providers caring for Veteran patients. Veterans and the public also may be interested in the guide to learn more about symptoms and treatment.